My Family

My Family

Saturday, September 12, 2015

New School Year, New Stress

It’s the beginning of a new school year, which can bring on a lot of stress. For parents, you’re trying to get into a new routine, buy school supplies, juggle schedules, etc. But it’s important to remember that this time is stressful for everyone – kids too (although they may not call it that). They’re also adjusting to a new routine, as well as new rules, new teachers, and new peers. As a parent, it’s important that you don’t let your own stress overwhelm you because it will only add to the nerves that your child may already feel. They’re looking at you to set the pace, and your attitude is usually reflected in your child’s.

Here are some tips that helped me:

  • Start a routine and be consistent – it helps to have some time with the TV off and no phone or social media distractions 
  • Get as much done in the evenings as possible so you don’t start off each day in a frenzy - the morning sets the tone for the day so keep your cool 
  • Set expectations – have a discussion with your kids so everyone is on the same page 

As the playground lady, I do carpool every morning. Carpool begins at 7:30am, and I had to get 6 kids up and ready for school. One of the decisions I made as a mother was not to yell at my kids every morning. I did as much as possible in the evenings, woke up with enough time to do our morning routine, and had the conversation with my children so they knew the expectations. Then I spoke to the principal and told her I’ll do carpool and be there every morning, but I’m not going to get a divorce over it. Somedays I was 10 minutes late, and it was okay…14 years later, I’m still doing carpool.

No comments:

Post a Comment